get connected: 1-855-ORE-ADRC
Tel: 1-855-673-2372

Oregon Project Independence (OPI)

Are you or a family member needing help to remain home? Oregon Project Independence (OPI) may be able to help you. It is for people who are thinking about moving out of their home because they need help. This program will help you stay home.

Could you be eligible for this program?

  • If you are 60 years or older, and individuals of any age with Alzheimer’s disease or a related disorder.
  • Live in Oregon
  • If you are 19 through 59 years old, have physical disabilities and live in one of these specific counties: Benton, Clatsop, Gilliam, Jackson, Josephine, Lane, Linn, Lincoln, Marion, Hood River, Morrow, Multnomah, Polk, Sherman, Tillamook, Umatilla, Wasco, Washington, Wheeler and Yamhill.
  • Do not receive Medicaid (financial or medical help) except for Food Stamps or assistance with Medicare premiums.

What kind of help could you get?

The help you get will depend on your needs. Some people get help with personal care, like walking and bathing. Others get help with shopping, meal preparation and housekeeping. The variety of services vary by the area you live in but could include: personal care, home care, heavy housework (chore services), assistive technology devices, adult day care, respite care, registered nursing services, home-delivered meals, and assistance by a trained service coordinator to help you plan and work with the program.

Is there a cost for the services?

Yes. All people who are able to use this program have to pay for some of the cost of the services. There is a sliding scale fee. The cost to you is based on your monthly household income minus your household’s monthly medical costs.

How do I get on the program?

After you request the services, you will get a phone call from a trained Area Agency on Aging staff person. They will schedule a time they can meet you in your home. During the appointment the staff person will ask you questions about your needs and how you care for yourself. This assessment will determine if you are eligible for OPI services. If you are eligible then a staff person will help you create a plan to meet your needs within the limits of the program. Help can be given for a short time or up to a year at a time, depending on a person’s needs. The help can be used alone or with other in-home help.

Who will help me?

OPI service providers are State of Oregon registered Home Care Workers and/or a contracted in-home care agency depending on where you live.

Do I have to wait to get help?

Some areas have waiting lists and priority is given to you if you are frail and vulnerable, lacking supports and are likely going to have to leave your home for care.

How do I find out more about this program? The Aging and Disability Resource Connection (ADRC) is here for you. To learn about Oregon Project Independence and other programs and services, please contact us at Tel: 1-855-ORE-ADRC (673-2372)

ADRC of Oregon staff are available to help you explore your options to meet your current needs or create a plan for the future.

Oregon Department of Human Services, State of Oregon, ODVA Veterans
© 2014. All rights reserved.